Bampton in Devon

Bampton in Devon

 

Bampton: Chronolological History

You can now download attarctive charts of Timeline Romans-Present Day, and Timeline StoneAge - 1066.

Middle Stone Age

Flints found south east of Bampton.

Late Stone Age

Flints found south east of Bampton. [No proof to date of Bronze or Iron Age Celtic habitation].

2nd/3rd Qr. 1st Cent.

Roman Occupation began. Fort; Roads: Ford Road/Wellington Lane; Frog Street Bampton Down. (?)1st Quarrying.

Late 7th/ea 8th Cent.

Saxons. Mound & enclosure. New Town square, farms, market, mill. (New Town = New Tun = Newton [Square]).

Until 1067

Bampton including church and its lands held by Saxon kings then William I; = Royal Manor.

1067

Bampton taken by Norman invasion.

c1068

Norman motte & bailey. Wooden.

1086

First packhorses (2) recorded.

Latter ½ 11th Cent.

Substantial stone church on present site. Probably Saxon.

c1107

Bampton church & its lands to Bath Abbey. Chapels at Petton, Denscombe, Diptford, Zeal. (? Saxon in origin).

1136

Siege of Bampton Castle.

c late 12th Cent.

Stone mansion on motte. Castellated and walled under licence 1336.

1180

Bampton being referred to as Borough. (?)First of the fairs.

Late 1300’s

Bampton second largest clothmaking town in Devon after Barnstaple.

1430

Chantry Chapel in existence at Forde. (?)St. Nicholas.

1444

Bampton church and its lands appropriated by Buckland Abbey.

1450

North aisle and Rood Screen built. Part of Swan Hotel built.

c1483

Two yew trees planted.

1536

Castle last in occupation.

c1540

9 West Street built.

1553-1875

Rectory of Bampton (advowson & tithes) in lay hands. Then to Cathedral Chapter.

c1580

7-11 Briton Street built. Converted into 3 1620.

17th Century

Packhorses taking mail to London.

(?)1607

Castle collapsed during earthquake.

1620’s

Boys’ School in Bampton.

1645

Civil War skirmish. H Q Devon Clubmen. Bampton burned.

1669

Great Fire in Bampton. £10 distributed between victims.

1672

Baptists meeting in Bampton. Cottage Meetings. Arthurshayne 1675-1725.

1722-c1830

Workhouse in operation.

1725

Baptist chapel built.

1749-1760

Castle Grove built on sites of Tristrams House and The Croft.

1758

First Turnpike Road into Bampton. Private by 3 Tiverton clothworkers.

1766

John Wesley visited Bampton.

1793

Horse-coaches operating to London.

1807

Combehead rebuilt modernising 17th century mansion.

1808

First clock face fitted. East side. Square.

1810

Bampton sorting and franking its own mail.

1816

Methodists in Bampton.

1820

Wool Trade in Bampton virtually dead

1821

National School opened financed by Mrs. Penton.

1829

Batherm Bridge rebuilt. Single arch not five.

1843

11 houses destroyed by fire 2 badly damaged High Street area.

1851

5 houses destroyed by fire Churchyard.

1858

1st Police Station purchased.

1862

Methodist church replaced converted cottages.

1867

Bampton Local Board born.

1871

Water piped to taps in the town - M J C Phillips.

1883

Telegrams/telegraph wire came to Bampton.

1884-1963

Railway in Bampton.

1894

Bampton Urban District Council born.

1895

Methodist Sunday schoolroom added to church.

1902

Barton and adjoining 17th century cottages demolished. New Buildings built on site.

1905

First car owned in Bampton.

1912

Charabanc operating in Bampton.

1913

Last meeting of the Court Leet.

1919

Two clock faces fitted. Round.

1921

First telephone in Bampton.

1922

“Wembley Terrace” built (Nissen Houses) in Frog Lane

1924

Mains water piped into houses. 1st Council Houses built by B.U.D.C. followed by Council Houses in S. Molton Road then Ford Road.

1927

Electricity comes to Bampton. Church electrified.

1934

Bampton Town Council born.

1938

New school opened.

1940

American and British army medical units in Bampton.

Late 1940’s

School Close and Meadow View built.

1959

Town Mill ceased production. Leat filled in 1960.

1963

Last railway train in Bampton

1966

Last lime produced in Bampton.

1960’s-1970’s

Barnhay and Market Close built.

1970’s-1980’s

Bourchier Close built.

1985

Last animals sold at Fair.

1990's-2007

Ashleigh Park built.

1996

Last quarrying operation finished ending nearly 2 000 years of quarrying in Bampton.

2004

Ponies re-introduced to Bampton Charter Fair

2005

Newton Court built - 14 houses

2006-2007

Old Scott's Quarry site re-developed, housing and light industrial units

2007-2008

The school closed – new school built and housing estate proposed

 

Old postcard of Bampton - thanks to Francis Stoner

The picture on the left is from an old postcard of Bampton - it shows a view down the South Molton Road before the houses in Market Close were built. You can see the old warehouse (which still exists) by the railway station and maybe on the right, smoke from engines in the quarries.

Tom McManamon

local.history@bampton.org.uk

 

Home page