PLATINUM JUBILEE CELEBRATIONS!
2nd - 5th June 2022
Bampton is looking forward to celebrating HM The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee in style this June! A series of events - organised by local volunteers and supported by Bampton Town Council- will be taking place throughout the 4-day Bank Holiday Weekend from Thurs 2nd – Sun 5th June. Here's the info:
Thursday 2nd June, 6-10pm: Platinum Jubilee Beacon Lighting party at the Motte - community arts project lantern parade, hog roast from Smoke House In The Square, licenced bar from The Swan & lots of fun! Bring your friends!
Friday 3rd June, 3-5pm: Platinum Jubilee Service of Thanksgiving & Afternoon Tea at St.Michaels & All Angels Church then the community hall (from 4ish) - ALL WELCOME! Pop along after the service of thanksgiving (approx 3-3.45pm) at the Church & enjoy a delicious afternoon tea with friends & neighbours. Thanks to The Swan for their generous donation of cream teas for home delivery to those who can't get to the event in person. If there is someone you would like to nominate for a cream tea delivery on the day, please get in touch with the organisers via the website, or through the Toucan Café who will pass on a message.
Saturday 4th June, 9am – 4pm: Platinum Jubilee Community Fair including arts & stalls from local makers & producers, stands from local groups & organisations including Bampton Heritage & Visitor Centre, Devon Air Ambulance Trust & many more, car boot sale (am), dog show (pm) cup-cake decorating competition (judging at 11am), children's fancy dress (theme: Kings & Queens - judging at 12pm), bouncy castle fun & lots more! Food from The Toucan Cafe & Catering Service will be available along with drinks from local producers including the Cottage Beer Project. This will be a great, family-friendly community fun day - ALL WELCOME!
Saturday 4th June, 5pm - late: Live music, BBQ food & fancy dress fun (theme: Kings & Queens) at the Quarrymans Rest, 5pm - late. Music from local bands including Bampton's musicians Duo Tonic, Stay Lucky & West-Somerset band Jessie & the Skunknecks! All Welcome – come along & join the party!
Sunday 5th June: Platinum Jubilee Street Party - Brook Street, 12-3pm: Bring & share your own food & drinks – tables will be set up down the centre of the street & you are invited to come & enjoy an afternoon with friends & neighbours. There will be a licenced bar provided by the Swan; Spelt Bampton & Bawdens the Bakers At Lucy Lou's will both be open for treats too! The Scouts are managing the road closure with support from experienced Rotary-club volunteers. Come and join in - ALL WELCOME!
*To help with planning on the day. If you are coming and can let us know in advance for numbers - it'll help with planning; the Scouts are moving chairs & tables from Riverside Hall! If you have folding chairs - fdo bring them along - we'll be providing as many as we can, but it's not a commercial event.
There will be hosted tables for people coming on their own who'd prefer to have someone specific to meet and sit with! If you'd like to join in, please leave your name at the Toucan, Spelt, Bampton Fresh (they'll add your name to the list & we'll be in touch) or send us a message through the website. There is room for everyone in Bampton who wants to come - it will be great to see as many local people there as possible - it's been a long time since we've been able to get together!
Alongside the events, there are lots of opportunities for volunteers to get involved & local people to participate. These include:
- Make Bunting – see website &/or pick up fabric from the Toucan – and drop off your creations by the end of Tuesday 31st May to the Toucan. The plan is to fill Bampton with bunting & create a celebratory feel throughout the town – if you have some time to spare – please get involved & help us make bunting that Bampton can be proud of!
- Make Table Decorations – see website &/or pop into Toucan for further information. Bampton’s brilliant knitters & crocheters are making table decorations for the street party. We can supply wool/materials but need people with the skills to make them! If you enjoy knitting or crocheting & would like to get involved – please get in touch!
- Make a Lantern & Join the Lantern Parade! – local artists will be running workshops with community groups, children & young people throughout May thanks to a grant from the National Lottery which is providing funding for arts activities . There will be community arts workshops at Riverside Hall on each Saturday in May from 10am – 3pm. All materials will be provided – all you need to bring with you is your imagination & your creativity! Come along & join the fun – the communty arts project lantern parade will take place at the Recreation Ground on Thurs 2nd June before we light the beacon – it will be great! ALL WELCOME!
- Design & make a Platinum Jubilee-themed cupcake – bring it along to the community fair on Saturday 4th June before 10.30am – judging will take place at 11am with some lovely foodie-prizes for the winners!
- Get dressed up! Join in the fun with a children’s fancy dress competition at the community fair (judging takes place at 1pm – the theme is ‘Kings & Queens’ & there will be a little something for everyone who takes part – as well as a prize for the winners), or join the competition at the live-music event where there will be prizes for the grown-ups! It’s the same theme (Kings & Queens) & participants are invited to interpret it creatively!
For the Street Party on Sunday 5th June - wear a crown!
- Enter your dog in the Fun Dog Show which will be taking place at the Community Fair on Saturday 4th June from 1.30pm. Games and activities from Blue Cross all day with the main Fun Dog Show event from 1.30pm!
- Photograph/Video the events/Tell us your stories from the Weekend – we are planning to make a document of the weekend’s celebrations which can be held in Bampton Heritage & Visitor Centre ongoing. This will include photographs, videos, interviews with individual residents & more (please let us have your ideas!). We invite everyone who attends any of the activities to join in by submitting their photographs, recordings & stories from the weekend. There will be volunteers at the events chatting to people & documenting what they are involved in. If you’d like to volunteer as an event photographer/reporter - please get in touch through the website for more information – ALL ARE INVITED TO PARTICIPATE – the more people who get involved – the better!
- Local producers/artists/craftspeople – have a stall at the Community Fair. Traders are asked for a donation of £10 to help pay for the costs of putting on the event. Please get in touch via the website for more information.
- Local volunteer-led organisations or community groups – have a stall at the Community Fair. Representatives of local volunteer-led organisations or community groups are invited to attend for free. Come & chat to local people about the activities you run, recruit new volunteers and/or raise some funds to support your activities. Please get in touch via the website for further information.
- Sell your pre-loved goods at the Car Boot Sale – local residents are invited to sell their unwanted items to support recycling, reuse and the reduction of waste going into landfill. Gates open at 8am – stalls need to be set up by 9am & the car boot sale will end at 1pm. No commercial traders. £5 for sellers to be paid on the day.
The short timescale for planning means that events and activities are continuing to develop. Please check the website for the latest information – which will be updated through May 2022. All events are subject to change.
If you have some time to spare & would be happy to help by volunteering on the days to support any of the events – please get in touch via the website or leave a message at the Toucan. All offers of help to set things up, steward activities and more will be very welcome!
We look forward to seeing you over the weekend of the Platinum Jubilee & are looking forward to having the opportunity to celebrate together again after such a long time when we have not been able to. Come and join the fun! The Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday Weekend in Bampton will be a wonderful way to celebrate our community, friends and neighbours as well as HM The Queen’s unique achievement!
For further information - www.bamptonplatinumjubilee.weebly.com, link from www.bampton.org.uk